Making Autumn Dream Better, Part 2

deck paint & window shades

deck paint & window shades

Reconditioned Prop

Reconditioned Prop


New Hailing Port

New Hailing Port


Windlass

Windlass

Sorry for the long delay in posting – finally uploaded photos and grabbed others from Kevin’s computer.
It’s difficult when there are two cameras taking photos… and work gets in the way.
Kevin bought a manual anchor Windlass from our favorite store- Marine Consignment of Fall River.
He rebuilt it, including replacing all the lubricant, painted it, and then modified Autumn dream by moving the bollard from the anchor pulpit to the deck (THAT WAS FUN- NOT), and then installing the new windlass on the anchor pulpit.
This at one point required me to climb inside the anchor locker – very tight- to help remove very long threaded rods that were used to originally install the bollard.
Anchoring – actually pulling up the anchor and 30 feet of chain – is now a breeze. My job now is to make a sunbrella cover to protect the windlass, and a small ‘sock’ to stop the vibration of the handle when it is stored in the pilot house.
She of course has her new hailing port on the stern.
We painted the decks, top of the cabin, and top of the pilot house with another coat of Durabak anti-skid paint (skipped the roller, did it all by brush this time and it came out much better). I painted up the insides of the toe rail too – and it looks much better.
Also installed a new Kahlenberg horn — Sounds great! You can see the horn on top of the pilot house. I made a “bug condom” out of mosquito netting at Kevin’s request to keep out the bugs and wasps. It was “free” instead of paying for ones from the manufacturer.
Bottom was bead blasted, repaired, and painted with water based indicator coat of red and then black bottom paint (I painted the black bottom while Kevin did other work, but he did help when I was running out of steam). This year we are trying Petit Hydrocoat Eco Ablative (copper free) paint recommended by Tommy at Shaw’s boat yard.
The prop was reconditioned and all odd vibrations are now gone – also making Kevin very happy. We read about using USP anhydrous Lanolin to protect the prop and shaft – to prevent growth, and I had the “pleasure” of spreading this goop all over. We’ll report back on how well it worked to stop the barnacles.
Some of the interior work: I made interior curtians for all the windows in the pilot house for privacy and sun protection. You can see them in the photo of the deck/pilot house.

I’ll do another post of her bottom job- that deserves a dedicated post- especially based on what it cost us!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s