In a previous entry I (Beth) mentioned that one of my winter projects was to make a dingy cover out of sunbrella. Kevin is tired of pumping gallons of water out of the dingy after our typical summer rainstorms.
Here are the project details, with photos following.
I used sunbrella that I bought from Marine Consignment of Fall River – it was all cut pieces left over from a canvas maker’s shop – but I figured I would have to piece it together anyway. Using the excellent book “the Complete Canvas Workers Guide” I was able to get through this step by step.
Materials: Sunbrella, Coat’s and Clark “Outdoor”polyester thread, brass grommets, Sta-Set braid (3/16”), and a fiberglass shock-corded tent pole for the center support. I followed the guidelines and used double-felled seams to minimize water penetration. The fiberglass tent pole was cut to the correct length, and is held in place in 3 locations with tunnels inside the cover.
All sewing was done on my24 year old New Home machine. I used 90/10 and 100/12 “Jeans” needles for the sewing machine, and had to tweak the foot pressure and the upper thread tension to almost the max. For those of you who may care, I also used a walking foot for this project.
I bent quite a few pins… but didn’t break any needles. The machine was a bit grumpy at times sewing through 4+ layers of fabric, and at times it decided to jam, but in the end I prevailed and we now have a Dingy Cover. It is bright yellow!